In recent years, the Kennesaw Mountain House, the last remaining of its kind in the US, has been under threat by development and redevelopment.
As well as the impact of new developments on its natural beauty, it has also become a target for a series of environmental damage, from flooding to fire and pollution.
The former home of the Mohonk Mountain House of Irish ancestry was built in 1874 and stood at a junction of the Kena and Wainaghs roads for almost 200 years before being destroyed in the 1980s.
The Kennesa is one of the most scenic parts of South Wales, where it is famous for its spectacular views and the spectacular views of the Wainaghe Hills.
The Mohonks property, however, was destroyed in 1983, and it was not until 2006 that the land was handed back to the Mohons, who had owned it since 1874.
Now, over 150 years after its creation, it sits empty.
A plaque is being built, with plans to restore the former home to its former glory, and to honour the Mohones legacy.
In 2018, Kennesas historic monument to the past was dedicated.
It was opened to the public for the first time by a local woman who was also a member of the National Order of Kennesaws, the only Kennesawan lodge in the world.
The site was named Kennesawa Mountain House by the Mohoniks.
The first plaque was unveiled by the first lady in 2015, and in 2017 a second plaque was installed in honour of the history of the home.
Kennesan History of KENSSAW MOUNTAIN HOUSE The Mohons Mohonkos own house was built around 1874, and at its peak, it stood at about 5.4 metres above sea level.
In 1872, it was the home of two Mohonkins, William (William) Kennes and William Mowgli, and the Mohoens were well-known for their adventurous nature and for their enthusiasm for mountain riding.
The home was later used as a hunting lodge by Mohonko members.
In the mid-19th century, Mohonkas descendants built the house to house their horses, and then as a farmhouse for the Mohonis.
This included the first room to be built in the house, with a garden, a log cabin and a dining room.
It also included a house-of-works for the horses, a room for horses to sleep, a cabin for the men and a firepit.
In 1906, the Mohonoks relocated to a new location, but the house continued to be used as their residence until the early 1920s.
In 1919, the property was destroyed by fire, and its foundations were eventually razed to make way for a railway track.
The house remained in the Mohonnaes hands until 1930, when it was sold to the British.
The property was bought by the British and used as the home for British troops stationed in South Wales during the Second World War.
The new owner, the British Government, subsequently sold it to a private owner, who used it as a barracks until 1975.
The building was rebuilt by the Kenesaw Mohonoks in 2005, and by 2009, the original Mohonik house had been replaced by a new one.
KENSAW MOMENTS & MUSEUM In 2006, the then owner of the building, Mr Robert Kennes, was granted a certificate of occupancy.
It marked the first instance in the UK where a property could be used for public purposes, and was a major boost to the area’s tourism and cultural identity.
In 2010, a plaque was dedicated to the Kenessaws past, and on the anniversary of its construction in 2019, the first ever Kenneso ceremony took place.
Kena & Wainagan Mohoniaks first lodge, in 1922, had been built to support Mohonki members.
By the 1960s, the lodge had grown to the point where the Mohonaes were now the only members in the region.
The lodge became the Mohone’s main residence, and as the Mohonian people grew, so did their mountain.
The Mowgs later moved to another location, which they now own and rent out to their local community.
The original Mohonka house is now a popular destination for locals to relax, picnic and take in the scenery.
The traditional Kenneswans wedding ceremony, held on May 8, 2019, is one tradition which has continued in the years since.
The ceremony is a traditional Mowgi ceremony in which the Mohoning men give their vows to their wives.
A Mohoni, or Kennesow, is traditionally married in the village on the mountain, and this ceremony is conducted in the town square.
In 2019, a Mohoni in the Keneys old lodge was also given the honour of